Saturday, June 20, 2015

Seven Weeks

     Almost 300 days ago I arrive in Rwanda, bright eyed, naïve, and excited. Since then, I've gone through a bunch of changes that I can't even describe adequately. But my time here is almost over. It's shocking to me that this year has flown by. Back in October during my cathartic breakdown I felt as though this would be the longest year of my life. However, in exactly seven weeks, at 1:35 pm EST, my plane will land at Dulles International Airport, my dad will greet me, and I'll be home.
     I have no idea how I'm going to handle the transition home. In a good way, I won't have to deal with it immediately. After just a few days to handle my jet lag, I'll be back on a plane headed for Puerto Rico to stand up for a former college roommate and friend for his wedding. Then I'll only be around for a week before I fly to the midwest and see my nieces for the first time in two years. In case you haven't figured this out about me, I tend to not sit still very easily.
     I have no idea what I'm going to do next. As my mother informed me last night, I need to start making decisions about not only my career, but my life as well. For those of you who don't speak "mom," that's code for, perhaps I should think about settling down in one spot (in the U.S.) for more than six months, thus increasing my chances of meeting someone and getting married. The good news is that I have seven weeks until I need to start worrying (or start worrying more than I already am about impending unemployment). The bad news is that I will leave Rwanda in seven weeks. I still have so much work to do here. I'm not ready quite yet to be done.

Lessons Learned:
1) So this is what it feels like to be an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment