Thursday, January 22, 2015

Jacques Update

     "Enfant a rendu son ame a Dieu." That is what I read in the nursing progress notes Tuesday morning as the porters rolled the 2 year old's body to the morgue. Translation: The child gave his soul to God. It is the most eloquent note I've ever seen written about a patient's death and it almost brought me to tears. And in seven years of ICU nursing, I don't think I've ever wanted to cry over a written note.
     The most terrible thing about Jacques is that his death might have been preventable. Had the neurological changes been identified earlier, were our CT scanner working, maybe we would have had a stronger case to transfer him to Kigali and neurosurgical intervention. It is beyond frustrating, but a lot of things I cannot change.
     What I can change is the education level of the staff here at CHUB. Please consider donating to our cause to ship over 3000 lbs of donated medical and nursing textbooks here to Rwanda. Any little bit helps. It has grown frustrating and depressing to see that over $12,000 can be raised for an injured dog in California, but I can't raise $6,000 for increasing education in East Africa.

Lessons Learned:
1) No matter how long you've been at it, there is always going to be something in nursing that makes you want to cry. It never gets easier.
2) There is a science to fundraising that I never understood before now.


2 comments:

  1. Dear Alex,

    Your posting was truly heart-breaking!

    Sr Maureen Connell is a friend of mine and she directed me to your blog. I've sent it along to some of my nurse-friends who I am sure will find it gives them food for thought -- and perhaps will help your cause....

    But for now, this note is mainly to tell you of my interest, my concern and my prayers -- and those of my Carmelite community.

    And Happy Birthday! I hope I can send this successfully; I've attempted it once and failed miserably....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Maureen is so dear and sweet I enjoy seeing her whenever I can. I myself was schooled by the SSNDs but had many interactions with Carmelite sisters too! Thank you for the prayers and support and birthday wishes! It's truly appreciated.

      Delete