Monday, October 6, 2014

It is Every Girls Dream to have a Waterfall in Their House

     Friday night Julie and I were hanging in our living room enjoying each others company as Vanessa had callously ditched us for Kigali for the night (ok not really, she had a meeting and did some shopping for us). We had both just commented on how hard it was raining, that we were impressed we still had electricity, and how slow the evening was dragging. We had already watched the second episode of The Good Wife (I've discovered I can use the hospital Wifi to download from iTunes) and were reading our latest novels.
     I was about to say just how loud the rain was pouring off the roof when it dawned on both of us that that wasn't what we were hearing... earlier in the week as invalid Julie was home we had some crazy rain and a leak appeared in our guest room, which happens to be on my side of the house. Julie had told us that it was pretty crazy and we sent an email to the Colonel letting him know. By the time Julie and I got to the guest room it was way too late. Water was POURING in from two corners of the room and from all the walls. The water had spread across the room, down the hallway, and half way into my bedroom. Thankfully, my shag carpet proves to be very good at soaking up dirty roof water. We grabbed our laundry tubs and started to squeegee the water into my bathroom which has a drain in the middle of the floor. Good design. At one point the water was coming in so quickly I couldn't dump the tubs fast enough into my shower. Our guard Charles didn't know what to do. Then the light fell and water started to come from the fixture. We turned off the electric to that room. Then the waterfall came. A legit waterfall from a new place all down onto the bed.
     Thankfully, the rain finally stopped. We shut all the electric off to be safe and opened a bottle of wine. It was quite the experience. I slept in Vanessa's bed just to be safe that night too. Hopefully the Colonel's maintenance man, Robert will be able to get here today and see what he can do. I think this was to make up for missing out on the waterfall hike last weekend. Every girls dream is to have a waterfall in their house.
Waterfall entry point
The aftermath of night one
That is indeed a water spout coming into the room.

A second (or third or fourth at this point) water spout.


     Well, I didn't get around to posting this before the weekend was over due to African internet, however we had a second waterfall in the guest room yesterday. Seriously, who knew I'd be living the life of someone rich enough to have an established waterfall to decorate their house? Thankfully, Robert was present during the second waterfall and agreed that we were not making it up or exaggerating in the least when we stated we had a waterfall in our house. He climbed up onto the roof in the middle of the torrential downpour/thunderstorm and discovered that indeed we had a plastic container blocking the drainage pipe of that section of roof. So far, we have had no more leaking or waterfalls, but I'm keeping my yoga mat at the base of my door just in case.

Lessons Learned:
1) Every bathroom should have a drain in the floor... it was a godsend this weekend.
2) Always be prepared... you never know when you're going to need an extra laundry tub to catch a waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment